[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jun 22 21:55:15 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:48:37PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> With the IDE drives, it took MINUTES to boot WinXP. Minutes. Changing widows was really painful - it reminded me of the 80486 machine I bought years ago that had the clock set at 4.77 MHz, not 33 MHz... Wow, that was slow...

Sounds like something was misconfigured... My PATA drive in my WIndows gaming
box (Athlon64 3200+, 2G RAM, Asus A8V motherboard) isn't bad at all, but
then I buy Hitachi drives with 8M cache.

I'm replacing it with an identical SATA drive (Hitachi as well) though; "just
because".  Will be interesting to see any performance difference.  I'm
reinstalling XP because Vista Beta2 was a screaming pile of crap.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas