[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jun 22 19:45:39 CDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> If you say that about 128megs, I shudder to think what you would say
>>> about my current application absolutely requiring 2 gigs.
>>
>> I'll see your 2GB and raise you my calloc() yesterday that acquired
>> 63GB of memory--without paging to disk. :)
>
> What application are you working on?

It was just a memory-and-cache exerciser I wrote.  I let four threads of
it run overnight to burn-in test the new computer WeMakeProcessors got
for some simulation work.

It's pretty sad that you can spend $16k on a beefy PC (4 Opterons, 64GB
memory, decent motherboard, and a reasonable amount of disk), and it
still sucks just like any other PC with its "BIOS", crap diagnostics,
and legacy idiocy.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"