[geeks] Quiet SCSI drives

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:16:04 CDT 2006

On 6/22/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > One thing I'm curious about is how good Samsung drives are.  They seem
> > to be priced lower than Seagate, but I've not heard anything at
> > all about their quality.
>
> I bought a Samsung SATA drive when I rebuilt vorlon.  It has been
> trouble free so far, and is whisper-quiet.  (For that matter, the entire
> machine is so quiet that if there's any background noise going on at
> all, I can't hear it running unless I get down on the flor beside it and
> literally put my ear to the case.)

The 3 year warranty plus the reduced price convinced me to purchase
the OEM Samsungs over additional Seagates.  I have 3 of each @
200G/ATA.  The Samsungs are the hardest hit on as they are attached to
my 3Ware card in a RAID 5, which is on 24x7 serving data.

The raid set ran in degraded mode once during a parity check after a
power failure; that took about 13 hours, as the partition is about 75%
all the time.  Two of the Seagates are the mirrored system disks; they
are hit about 50% of the time serving data.  The 3rd Seagate is by
it's lonesome as the external disk on my desktop Mac (back up, sneaker
net when I need to get a lot of data to other places quickly).

Thus far I've seen no trouble with either set.  They've been running
24x7 for about 6 months.  The only "consumer" ATA drives I've had
problems with are the 'deathstar' IBMs and Maxtors.

=Nadine=