[geeks] Quiet SCSI drives

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 22 10:00:55 CDT 2006

Wed, 21 Jun 2006 @ 23:12 -0500, Phil Brutsche said:

> Most modern (ie the last generation or two) 10k RPM drives are pretty
> quiet - I've used Fujitsu MAP3367N[CP], Seagate Seagate ST336607L[CW],
> and some Hitachi drives whose model # I can't recall at the moment.  IMO
> the Fujitsus make less noise than the Seagates.  Those are all 36GB U320
> drives.

The Fujitsu drives use fluid bearings, which does make them quiet.
Seagates of later periods might do it too.

Hopefully U160 drives of the same period are just as quiet, because I
can get them cheaper.

> The Seagate (http://search.ebay.com/8831631546) and Fujitsu
> (http://search.ebay.com/140000506218) drives can be had pretty cheap
> (generally $ 70 US or less shipped) and are around $ 120 US new.

I get nervous buying used, mainly because sellers never tell how old the
drives are, or what their service time and conditions were.  It would be
nice if those who tested the drives would put the SMART output on the
listing.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome garantees, if