[geeks] Oracle dbs on Sun T2000?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Jun 20 13:01:54 CDT 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:21:27 -0400, Francois Dion wrote:
> Another thing to think about, a 4800 (well 4900 now with U IV) never
> go down for anything if they are setup right. You can hotswap

Ha! I had a 6900 go to the 'ok' prompt for no obvious reason last night.
But as a general rule they are pretty reliable.

> Now, if your oracle license is per users then it makes sense. I'm
> surprised then that you are running out of steam on your current
> hardware.

Some third party applications written for small markets seem to be
written by programmers who should really take up basket weaving. There's
three names that if I use in the same sentence will cause the DBAs at
work to start cowering in the corner. One does something so unspeakable
to Oracle (many Oracle customers have been tempted, but it isn't
something you should do in a released application) that we can't use any
Oracle hot backup tools on the relevant instance.