[geeks] Oracle dbs on Sun T2000?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Jun 20 11:55:10 CDT 2006

Francois reminded us:

> ...if you are paying for the Oracle licenses on a per cpu basis,
> it would not be cost effective at all.

   Well, as a .edu, let me speak hypothetically and say that for this
discussion Oracle licenses aren't a determining factor. Are
CMT/Niagara/T1000/T2000 servers any more attractive now?

> Run Solaris 10 across the board, you'll see some performance gain,
> particularly on the network I/O.

   Good point. We've been kind of constrained to running Solaris 8 until
now, but I'd like to move to Solaris 10 (which the "Cool Threads"
servers require). As you suggest, I'm looking forward to the Sol8->Sol10
jump in and of itself, and getting smaller, cooler, faster servers would
just be gravy.

> Depending on your load, you probably are not running out
> of CPU steam, but might be I/O bound.

   I'm not sure that I/O is the problem: the load on the internal (OS &
binaries) disks doesn't hit more than a few percent busy very often, but
the CPU load runs up right away and stays there most of the day. The RAM
is OK, too, often less than half of it in use. From this I would
conclude that more threads are better -- or am I wrong?

> What disk setup are you using? Might want to upgrade that instead.

   Mirrors using SDS on the internal HDs for the OS and binaries & logs,
with a 3310 for data files (RAID5) and log files.
   We'll probably start putting data on the SAN with this upgrade,
though.

> T2000, you'd need a minimum of 2, and Oracle RAC.

   RAC? Erm, not this summer, no.  :7)  Come to think of it, I don't
know of many (any?!) people running RAC under our application (Banner)
outside of a press conference.

> I'm surprised then that you are running out of steam on your
> current hardware.

   Well, to be fair, not *out* of steam, but it's getting pretty steamy
in there already, and this might be a way to make things run a little
better.

   Thanks for the thoughts!

-wde
--