[geeks] Poweredge 2400, SCSI details

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Fri Jun 16 16:17:22 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Is the onboard RAID a good controller?  I don't really know if I'd use
> the hardware RAID or not.

The onboard RAID is Adaptec compatible, which takes aacraid under Linux
and aac(4) under *BSD... not a clue about Solaris.  I should try it on
the one I have here.

Unless you get one with the cache battery module I wouldn't use hardware
RAID for anything fancier than RAID1.

I'm not a big fan of it myself... flaky drives (or the equivalent - like
flaky power to the backplane) can cause the whole RAID controller to
lock up - it's a common problem with Adaptec RAID setups.

>> I have a PE2400 here with most of the requisite hardware, so I can take
>> pictures and show you what to look for.
>
> Thanks.
>
> You like the machine pretty well?

It's OK - dual 733MHz PIIIs, but it lacks the battery module for the
RAID, so the disks are quite slow, and it's pretty noisy, especially
when compared to the newer and faster machines we have.

Last time we tried to use it for production it had a reliability
problem, and the noise precludes it from residing in my test rack (which
resides in my office).

It doesn't get much use 'round here.  But hey, we got it for free...

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com