[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 15 00:53:15 CDT 2006

Wed, 14 Jun 2006 @ 18:32 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:06:16PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Yesterday a Dell Poweredge 2400 with dual 867MHz CPUs and 2GB of RAM
> > sold for $99, plus $50 shipping.
>
> > I think that's probably a good deal, especially since I can't seem to
> > find the lowball deals other people claim to find. Most such machines
> > sell for $300 or more.
>
> I'd call that a reasonable deal.  Wouldn't call it a steal though.

True.

Years ago when onsale.com first popped up, I could find anything I
needed in a few hours, and dirt cheap, all without leaving my desk at
work.

Now I generally have to use automatic searches of ebay and various
mailing lists and usenet groups, along with a certain amount of time
looking manually.

I sometimes find really interesting things on ebay by searching for
everything ending immediately and below $50.  That's how I snagged my
SS5 years ago for $25, and the Ultra 1 for $10 a bit over a year ago.

I've gotten a lot of stuff really cheap like that.  It's almost like you
have to not be looking before you find stuff like that.

The problem is when you need something soon.  You can't always wait N
weeks/months for the steals.  I still need a PC server, so I might have
to go for a non-steal price.

Then again... you never know.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]