[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 14 17:06:01 CDT 2006

Wed, 14 Jun 2006 @ 16:04 -0400, Nadine said:

> On the one paw, I can relate to not having a decent computer store
> available for this kind of thing--or anything, for that matter.  I
> never thought I'd say I miss Fry's, but dang it, I do--

There are computer stories in Tidewater, but none of them are very good,
and most of them are chains like CompUSA, Best Buy, etc.

I would like to support the local small businesses, but unfortunately
most of them just aren't very good.

My primary problems with them are product selection and pricing.

On price: most of them charge too much.  I'll pay more just to deal
locally, or to support local small business.  However, when their prices
start hidding 50% or more over what I can get in single quantities, I
can't really afford to support them.

I talked to a shop owner last year about that, and he confessed that it
was nearly impossible for him to compete.  The chains virtually buried
him with their mass advertising, and he found himself buying parts from
newegg.com because they were better than the prices he got from his area
distributor.  He said that computer parts distributors stopped giving
good pricing to small businesses about 5-6 years ago, and are now
charging his shop more than online stores charge customers for single
quantities.

In short, he's being squeezed out of business.  It doesn't help that the
local area charges huge sums for rent, even though they have vast tracts
of developed areas that have no tennants.

On selection: even the big chains often don't have what I want.  Most
stores will order for you, but at that point I could just order it
myself, and also save money.  Some stores are also very hard-headed
about giving me what I want, and some will refuse to build a custom
system.

I feel like there has to be a way to start a computer store that can
compete.  If not, then something is dreadfully wrong...

> if *only* I could talk them into a franchise...I'd be set...but I
> digress.

Yeah... depending on your area of course.  I've seen operations like
Fry's die because a CompUSA moved in.  They had better prices and more
selection, but people gravitated toward the slicker looking store.

How else can you explain CompUSA surviving despite their prices being as
much as 2-3 times what places like Newegg charge?

> On the other paw, if these twits can use ePay, it's not that much
> further along to get a Paypal debit card and buy things for decent
> prices new from Amazon.

You mean they might move off of ebay?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]