[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 14 14:09:17 CDT 2006

Wed, 14 Jun 2006 @ 12:34 -0400, Aaron Finley said:

> > I've seen Dell Poweredge 2400 servers for $100-$300, depending on CPU
> > speed and available drives.  They all have dual power supplies and U160
> > SCSI.  Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris suppor their SCSI controllers.
> >
> > Is a 2400 with a pair of 700-800MHz CPUs worth $300?
> >

> I have an IBM X305 that I just got into today. P4 1.8ghz. Anyone want?
> Seems to me a better unit than a big ol' 2400.

A 2400 didn't look that big to me, but then I was comparing it to
monsters like the HP Netservers and some of the huge rackmount stuff.
Most of the servers I find, I couldn't use because of the space and the
noise.

I might be interested if it has similar features.  Will have to look up
its technical manual online.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]