[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jun 14 09:45:41 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:28:31AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> My plans may have changed a bit.  I got a U2 with 1GB RAM and 2 300MHz
> CPUs for $40 today.  Will cost $40 to ship it, but I can live with that.
> Shipping always you.
>
> As long as the machine is in good working order, I'll probably have it
> doing real work for at least a couple of years.
>
> $40 / 24 = $1.60 per month.

Don't you mean $80 and $3.20?  Ya gotta count shipping in there as well.

I'd say you found a winner.  I have a E250 with 2x300 and I'm led to
believe that performance wise they are very similar.  I love the E250.
Very speed in general.  UW for the internal disks doesn't feel so fast
any more though, so if one has the money and space, I expect that a
E220R and external disks, or a U2 w/ FC-AL or a pair of UW cards and
external disks might be better.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net