[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jun 13 17:38:02 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 06:19:50PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Otherise I was about to invest in some RIMMs to sell in Israel... :)

Sorry, gone are the days you could buy a Camcorder in New York, take
it to Israel and sell it under the table for more than the cost of the
whole enterprise (camera, airfare, hotel and food).

The taxes have steadily declined over the last ten years, with a big
jump downward around 2001. Some things have never gone down in price,
such as iPods which are twice the price of the U.S. and therefore almost
twice the price of the competion.

Other things here are almost the same price as New York City, if you
factor in the 8% sales tax there and the 16.5% VAT here.

The last thing I priced was a new TV set for our kids. We ended up with
a Hitachi 4:3 because we wanted a glass tube and not an LCD. It is 20",
with universal voltage (100-240), a universal tuner (except maybe SECAM L
which is only used in France) and lots of inputs. The lowest price in the
U.S. I could find was $190 plus $30 shipping within the U.S., the second
lowest price was $220 with free shipping within the U.S. We paid including
VAT and local delivery less than $230.

BTW 4:3 TV is just fine here. There is no HDTV and the DBS system will
show widescreen movies in 16:9, but less than 5% of them are transmitted
in widescreen, so you get 4:3 anyway.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838