[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 12 16:02:12 CDT 2006

Mon, 12 Jun 2006 @ 13:39 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> > Is a 2400 with a pair of 700-800MHz CPUs worth $300?
>
> I don't think so.  I think it would be closer to $100-$200.  For $300
> you should be able to buy better machines that are also rackable.  18
> months ago my employer bought some barely used HP rack mount servers
> with dual 833mhz CPUs, U160 RAIDs with 6 18gig 10k or 15k RPM disks
> each, remote management cards, gigabit ethernet, and 2 gigs of ram each
> for $300.

Nuts... I'm definitely not finding any deals that good.

I suppose this will be a long search.

Right now I'm having to run server applications on my desktop, because
my Sun equipment also needs upgrading.  Was going to create a PC server
first, then shut the Sun servers off and start looking for their
replacements next.

> > Recommendations of other PC servers appreciated of course, but I
> > have a strict budget and space requirements.  Nothing over $300, and
> > I can't use rack mount equipment.  I have no racks, and my server
> > table doesn't have a whole lot of depth for a long rackmount system.
>
> Take your $300 and split it between a rack and a rackmount PC?

It has to sit on my server table.

Can't do racks right now.  Don't have any, don't have room, cannot
currently get rid of the stuff that is in the way.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]