[geeks] external USB hard drive cases

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 5 23:10:30 CDT 2006

I've decided to use an external hard drive to back up two computer
systems using rsnapshot.  Combined with DVDs of the really important
stuff, this should be reliable enough to trust.

I've been using rsnapshot for a few weeks now, and it is just about
flawless.

We've had a few discussions about external backup drives, so I thought
I'd revisit the topic to get recommendations for external drive
enclosures.

I can't afford SCSI, so I'm leaning toward a decent SATA drive, like a
Seagate Barracuda.

I'm also leaning toward USB 2.0 interface, mainly because it is common.
I thought about eSATA, but don't know much about it, and there aren't a
lot of enclosures to choose from.

Anyone have any recommendations?  Preferrably, something you've used
yourself.

My application will be running mostly rsnapshot backups hourly, so the
drive will need to run 24/7 reliably, and I expect it to last years.  At
least as long as the drive anyway (3-5 years).

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The trade of governing has always been
monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of