[geeks] RHCE advice

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 31 10:40:12 CDT 2006

Fri, 28 Jul 2006 @ 13:36 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> To be honest, if IT folks had their way, the system designed to
> support HR would look very similar to what it does right now -

That depends on your IT folks.

Of course, I'm not IT, I'm CompSCI, so my approach is often quite
different from a standard IT person.

> pidgeon-holing applicants, distilling skills to a set of keywords,
> etc. That is what our IT systems are good at.

Speak for your own systems!

Computers are also very good at *NOT* doing that kind of thing, if you
simply ask them different questions.

It's a people problem mostly.

> The issue is that we ask HR to do is to lower expectations on hiring
> (to cast a wider net) and to raise expectations for candidates (to
> give them a chance).

I've tried hard to parse and analyze that, but can't.

What do you mean here?

> HR is very good at enforcing policies, problem is we look to HR to be
> champion for the employees - that is what a Manager is for.

I don't look to HR to be a champion, I just look for them to be
competent, and I'm about 99% disappointed there.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins]