[geeks] Vista on a test PC

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 20:51:00 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Bradford" <mrbill at mrbill.net>
To: "The Geeks List" <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [geeks] Vista on a test PC

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 03:33:43PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
<snip>
>> Bill, was your problem *massive* slowness (in an SS/5-110 kind of way),
>> or
>> in a "nat as snappy as I'd expect, but workable for some" kind of way???
>
> "Workable, but you can tell the OS eyecandy is taking up way too much CPU,
> and for someone used to XP, you can REALLY tell that this is a beta"

What I'm seeing is odd jerkiness during simple tasks (playing a video file
from HD, etc.) - to me it seems like the debugging is "on" in the
software...

Years ago the graphics card was the vital link in a Windows PC (as nearly
all operations funneled through the graphics interface), and while the
Radeon X300 is a reasonable graphics adapter, I may try something nicer to
eliminate it as a problem.

I do plan to run this for a while, as the install software I have is for
Vista Ultimate, which includes all of Media Center - I'm going to try a TV
capture card and play with that a bit before I flatten the system and make
it a server...

Lionel