[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 17:20:54 CDT 2006

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2006/07/29 Sat PM 04:06:30 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

>On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 16:25, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> Transmeta was IMHO "confused" which was why no one actually made anything
>> with their chips.
>
>I was never able to actually buy a TM chip + motherboard, for less than
>the cost of a complete system that used a P4 or Athlon.  Huge mistake.

I think Transmeta was focused on the *huge* markets that were focused on battery life, heat, etc. i.e. the embedded market, but since they didn't have a real market presence, they could never achieve enough sales to actually make it over the per/piece price hurdle and be cost competitive. Their features were interesting, but they weren't worth the price differential, as I recall.

Lionel