[geeks] RHCE advice

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 28 12:28:39 CDT 2006

Wed, 26 Jul 2006 @ 06:10 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> IANAL, but to have a copyright on a document/piece of work, you need
> to asert it by including a magic incantation, similar to:
>
> "(c) 2006, Lionel Peterson, all rights reserved"
>
> Without the assertion, you don't have a copyright as I understand it,
> but again, IANAL.

No, that's not true, and has not been since the 1970s.

Creation implies copyright now.

> Besides, as Nadine points out, you have agreed to have this person
> represent you - modifying your resume could be seen as reasonable in
> that case.

No, it can't.

A resume is a formal communication whose purpose is voided by
unauthorized modification.  There is no implied consent to edit.

I asked a lawyer about that years ago, and he said that anyone who
claims that right is full of crap.

Many documents have implied consents because of their normal usage, like
mailing list postings.

But a resume implies the exact opposite: a formal message, which by its
very nature becomes invalid if a third party modifies it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any