[geeks] RHCE advice

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 11:14:52 CDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>
> >> Any references/specific mags articles you can refer us to?
> >
> >It was on slashdot recently, here's the article it was referencing:
> >
> >http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1954198,00.asp?kc=ewnws042706dtx1k0000599
>
> I read it in eWeek, but I also saw the link on Slashdot but didn't follow it to the discussion (this is a very "predictable" story for Slashdot - all the know-it-all script kiddies talking about l33t they are and don't need certification for their jobs at CompUSA or Best Buy (with their sweet employee discount and cool shirts)!
>
> I also think there was a parallel/companion piece in the sister publication Information Week - but it was buried inside a story about Generation Z and IT careers, IIRC...
>
> Lionel

I think it might have more to do with the number of candidates
applying than in hiring processes changing. When you have hundreds of
people applying for a single position (such as been the case after
economic slowdown), minimum requirements (such as a degree) or
required certifications reduced the number of resumes to something
manageable by HR departments that are typically stretched thin and IT
clueless. Not that this is a good practice, but one can understand the
underlying reason.

Now that the marketplace is a bit more balanced, people have relaxed
their requirements.

I personally dont put much emphasis in certifications. Certified or
not, you wouldn't escape a technical interview.

While on the subject of resumes and since some are looking for jobs, I
figure I'd mention I do have another position that is open. C++ under
Solaris, the details are posted to the www.solaris-x86.org site under
the job section.

Francois