[geeks] I hate SGI stuff...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 26 20:15:00 CDT 2006

>From: Caleb Shay <caleb at webninja.com>
>Date: 2006/07/26 Wed PM 06:18:51 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] I hate SGI stuff...

>On 7/26/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
><snip death_of_octane>
>
>> Now it won't boot, and there are indicators on the front that I can't find a decoder for:
>>
>> ( )
>> (*) ( )
>> ( ) ( )
>> ( ) (*)
>>
>> "*" = lit up
>>
>> Any clues?
>
>Dont know about those indicators, but the LED's on the lightbar can
>give you some diagnostics via color/blinking/etc.  Check out pages
>284-286 of http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manuals/3000/007-3435-004/pdf/007-3435-004.pdf

Thanks, I found that manual, and I guess the CPU/memory "system" board isn't seated properly, so now I have to srtong-arm it out of the chassis and then try and seat it properly...

The XIO card cage was *filthy* - a literal CLOUD of dust came out when I blew my canned air in the cavity (and that was after I blew off the LAYER of solid dust across the honeycomb heat sinks across the sides (over CPU/memory and XIO cages)...

This was a really filthy Octane (I even blew serious dust out of the *cracks* between the XIO cards and the chassis, the P/S and the chassis, and the CPU/memory board and the chassis!)...

I'm glad I didn't open up both Octanes!

Lionel