[geeks] What was I thinking??? 8^)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 26 12:41:01 CDT 2006

So, I went to the Princeton University Surplus sale and picked up a few things, with tax, the total was just under $50:

Two (2) SGI Octanes, fair to good physical condition (they were considered non-working, so $5/each)

One SS/20 excellent physical condition, 3 DIMMs, one MBUS card, 2x 2.1 Gig HDs and CD-ROM ($5) (tried to test monitor with SS/20, but without a VSIMM, no video output, so it was considered scrap!)

One Sun widescreen (tube) monitor, part GDM-5410 (tested good, not perfect) $31

The SGIs are R12000 units with 512 Meg RAM in each, an 18 Gig HD for the O/S (Irix 6.5) and a 72 Gig HD and run fine.

The SS/20 has an SM75, 160 Meg RAM and runs fine.

The monitor works fine too, I just need to clean it up a bit (BTW, how do you clean a monitor screen - this has finger crease on it?).

I bought the SGIs just for the 18 Gig HDs (I couldn't identify the second HDs by the part numbers), and the SS/20 was just so clean... The monitor is for my new test bench ($20 at the surplus sale), so it doesn't need to be perfect...

I needed two more SGIs Like I needed a hole in my head, but with that buried treasure of 73 Gig HDs, I'm glad I went today!

Lionel