[geeks] RHCE advice

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Jul 25 16:47:04 CDT 2006

> My problem is that these idiots *EDIT* my resume without asking
> permission.
>
> I mean, it is *MY @#$% DOCUMENT*, and I did not give them permission to
> do any editing.
>
> I have found several recruiters severely butchered my resume.

I hate it when they use word for EVERYTHING, even email.

> The last guy I talked to said he *HAD* to use Word documents because
> they were required to submit the resumes on company letterhead.
>
> I wrote back that I didn't work for their company, and the client should
> know that, so why did my resume have to have their letterhead?  I also
> pointed out that he could use a cover page with his letterhead, and that
> would neatly meet his own company's stupid requirements.
>
> > It seems that they only want a Microsoft Word[0] edition of the file so
> > that they can feed it into some luserware that does keyword searches.
> > At least, it's patently obvious that the headhunters don't -read- what I
> > send them, or I wouldn't get offers to move to Michigan for a 3-month
> > contract doing Microsoft sExchange admin work.
>
> Amen to that.

Agreed.

> I have specific instructions in my cover letter and other submitted
> material telling them what I'm willing to do and how to contact me.
>
> They obviously never read it.
>
> The other huge peeve I have with all of them is this insane desire to
> use the telephone.
>
> I hate the damned telephone.  For one thing, it requires realtime
> matching of caller and receiver.  For another, 99% of the calls I get
> are useless so they waste a lot of time on telephone tag and having to
> wait around for the call.
>
> A lot of these idiot recruiters and HR droids won't even tell you what
> the job is in email, which is the most bloody stupid thing.  How do I
> know I want to try my 1% odds when I don't even know what the job offer
> is?

I've dealt with that years ago looking for a teaching job.

> The thing that really ticks me off bad is that I did use Word for a few
> months one time, and over half of the recruiters using Word could not
> load the file due to incompabilities between versions of Word.
>
> I find it pretty ironic that Open Office can read and write more Word
> formats than Word can.

I don't find it ironic, I find it funny as hell.  I load it in every
computer at school with it because the kids have the latest version
of Word and the machines at school are still using 98 and associated
version of Word.   Half of their stuff looks like a Japanese website.

> Also, I can't help but notice that the Mac version of Word can also read
> and write more Word formats than Word for Windows.
>
> The Mac team at Microsoft seems to be a lot better than the Windows
> team.

Nah.  The Mac is easier to program (heh, heh).

Bob