[geeks] RHCE advice

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 08:28:03 CDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>
> >Date: 2006/07/24 Mon PM 01:46:06 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] RHCE advice
>
> <snip>
>
> >I don't send my resumes to gigs requiring a degree in the field,
> >it's bad enough that they want my resume in Microsoft Word format.  But
> >that's another rant, for another thread, on another day. =)
>
> You know, if you make a plain text file and end the filename with .doc, it will most likely "count" as a Word format file, and load properly (though it will be in the default font for the PC - obviously)...

I've gotten in the habit of telling folks that I don't have M$ Office,
and that I can either send them pdf, plain text, rtf, or a doc file
that I have no idea about how it will appear.  Sadly they most often
go for the doc.  I've only folks that have wanted the plain text or
pdf versions are direct recruiters/managers.  The head hunters want to
be able to cut and paste your resume into their company's template.
Frankly, many do a crap job of it, as I've seen the results in
manager's hands when I get to the face-to-face.

=Nadine=