[geeks] Lightning question

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Jul 24 08:07:11 CDT 2006

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 06:04, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>>Personally, I wish my entire network was fiber instead of copper.  maybe
>>someday I'll be able to spare the money to do it.
>
> It is not that expensive these days provided you don't need a lot of
> gigabit.  I bought some Cisco 2820s for about $10 each that had 2 or 8
> ports apiece.

Honestly, I don't really *need* ANY gigabit.  I only have one machine
with gigE NICs, and my core switch is only 10/100 anyway, so even those
are running 100FDX.  The only thing I do on my network that could
hypothetically benefit from gigabit bandwidth is backup, and there I'm
disk I/O bound on all the clients anyway.  Even so, with all the "fast"
clients running at once I can saturate my LTO1's 80-Mbit SCSI interface.
 Gigabit wouldn't gain me one thing.