[geeks] 720 Megapixel photo

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jul 19 04:13:01 CDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:51:21 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

> This would mean there is a colour you can see in the world but which
> you cannot see on a colour monitor.
>
> Now, as I say, I haven't looked up the response curves of human
> photoreceptors and typical CRT phosphors to see whether such a
> situation is actually possible.
It is a well knowen fact in print technology and photography that the
color space of media like CRTs / LCDs, prints, slides, ... is smaller
then the color space the human can see. Have a look at:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/4/49/CIE-Normfarbtafel.png
Sorry for the german, but there wasn't a suitable picture on the english
wikipedia. The outer, big, light grey triangle is the theoretical color
space. The colored thing inside it is the color space the human can see.
It is smaller then the theoretical color space due to the spectral
sensitivity of the receptors in the human eye. The triangle in the
middle marked with "Adobe RGB" is approx. what a CRT / LCD can
reproduce.

Here is a similar but smaler picture that demonstrates visible colors
vs. RGB vs. CMYK color space:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/2/2d/CIE_Lab_RGB_CMYK.jpg
--

tsch|_,