[geeks] Electric bike?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Jul 18 18:30:07 CDT 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 5:41 PM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>> Based on my different tests, I've come to be really interested in the
>> power thru the chain type of drive.
>>
>> One guy has an interesting solution with an intermediary shaft, but it
>> requires some pretty intrusive modifications :)
>>
>> http://www.jstraubel.com/ebike/ebike.htm
>>
>> I've just been trying to figure a mechanical way to drive through the
>> regular chain. Hmmm... maybe an electrical interface would work:
>> replace the bottom bracket by a generator and power the motor that is
>> driving the chain :)
>
> I was following this thread for a while and I wonder if there could be
> some kind of setup with the front gear to the pedals similar to the
> rear
> hub.  In other words, the motor would drive the chain but the pedals
> could slip (not move).  When you used the pedals, they would drive the
> chain and the motor could slip.  I guess I'm talking about the
> mechanical
> equivalent of an OR gate.  Some sort of ratcheted gear on the pedals
> and the motor.    Just a thought.

Actually I was wondering why some enterprising frame builder couldn't
substitute the motor for the central pedal system and have a switch to
change it to "charge mode" when pedaling in addition to the standard
electric motor function.  With the right motor it could also act as the
brake and do a little "downhill regenerative".

Somebody want to poke holes in that one for me? I'm not talking unity-1
or anything but I think it would do well in places like CA.us where
there are a lot of hills.

Mike Hebel
----
I think I'd like to do something nice for somebody. I think it's good
if you smile at someone, and they smile in return. Voluntary love
encourages people to create a sense of friendliness. Love that is
unconditional gives us respect as people, however, it's wrong to force
love, to try to keep it alive. If the strain goes on eventually it will
bloom into the flower called lie. The deceptively thorny flower that
hurts people. - Vash