[geeks] Electric bike?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Jul 18 17:41:36 CDT 2006

> Based on my different tests, I've come to be really interested in the
> power thru the chain type of drive.
>
> One guy has an interesting solution with an intermediary shaft, but it
> requires some pretty intrusive modifications :)
>
> http://www.jstraubel.com/ebike/ebike.htm
>
> I've just been trying to figure a mechanical way to drive through the
> regular chain. Hmmm... maybe an electrical interface would work:
> replace the bottom bracket by a generator and power the motor that is
> driving the chain :)

I was following this thread for a while and I wonder if there could be
some kind of setup with the front gear to the pedals similar to the rear
hub.  In other words, the motor would drive the chain but the pedals
could slip (not move).  When you used the pedals, they would drive the
chain and the motor could slip.  I guess I'm talking about the mechanical
equivalent of an OR gate.  Some sort of ratcheted gear on the pedals
and the motor.    Just a thought.

Bob