[geeks] 720 Megapixel photo

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Jul 18 17:31:38 CDT 2006

> If a frequency above 20KHz resonates with one below, we can and will
> notice that.

But you are still NOT hearing those frequencies.  You are probably noticing
beat notes between them and another frequency with is something entirely
different or possibly a subharmonic.

> We do not have to be able to detect something directly to notice its
> affects.

I think we have to detect something directly to notice it.

> Likewise a resolution far higher than what the human eye might be able
> to specifically detect can still affect the bits we *can* detect.

Maybe by the eye(-brain) system by smearing those pixels together but you
are not seeing those individual pixels.

> Again, I don't see what is puzzling about that at all.

I just think there's a limit that when you go beyond that limit, any more
pixels/area is just not going to make a darn bit of difference.

> In any case, I can refuse the idea that extra pixels don't matter very
> easily:
>
> Print technology far exceeds display capabilities, yet we certainly can
> see the benefit.  We long ago passed the point where the human eye could
> detect the extra pixels, but nevertheless the printouts keep getting
> better.

Some of the technology actually allows each spot to blend with its neighbor
which makes it look like it has more elements per unit area but can blur
hard borders.  Most people wouldn't notice.  Maybe because their eyes would
do it anyway...  Most of the printout technology has been in more saturated
colors, less running on the paper and, yes, higher resolution.  Ooops, let's
not forget less fading.

<snip>

> Just to clarify: reflective technology is quite different from generated
> light technology.

Yeah, we haven't gotten a true blue pigment yet.  There is always some red
reflected (or transmitted) by blue pigments.  Also the "primary" colors
are different.  What's primary for one is secondary for the other.

> Reflective "colors" in a way are everything *except* the color we see,
> while with something like a display, the color we see really is what is
> being generated (or generated by combinations).

I think you meant reflective color is what part of the illuminating light
that is not absorbed assuming that that color is in the orginal light
(that's why tomatoes look so nice in the store and look pink at home, the
stores use fluorescent lights with boosted red in the produce section).
> Theory:
>
> Upper management has some defect in their brains which suppresses the
> autonomic system that keeps humans breathing, and they are really
> suffereing from oxygen depravation rather than simple stupidity.
>
> That would help explain how their behavior differs in being bizarre in
> addition to vanilla stupidity.
>
> Now combine low oxygen with excessive amounts of whiteboard marker
> fumes...

Does this sound like a blonde joke or what?  I always thought it was
defective office furniture.  They sit down, a spring pops up about
four inches and gives them a lobotomy.  :)

Bob