[geeks] Electric bike?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Tue Jul 18 15:30:49 CDT 2006

Spake Francois Dion ...

> Anybody built their own electric bike or has one?

[snip]

> I picked up a Kollmorgen flat servomotor which would fit perfectly in
> the "V" above the bottom bracket but I haven't found a good way for
> the transmission.

Can you do it with a single-speed set-up?  I know SFA about electric bikes,
but try me on regular-ole road bikes up to the mid eighties ...

If a single speed setup would work, how about a centrifugal clutch on the
motor driving a belt on the _left_ side of the bike?  Don't modern hubs have
some sort of mounting for disk brakes on the left side of the rear hub?
Even if not, it would be easy enough to use an old double-sided track hub to
fit the "other" end of the drive belt.  Or even have a machinist make you a
hub, using an old Phil or Hi-E unit for a pattern.

Alternatively, just hire a local bike racer and have him push you.

-Shel