[geeks] 720 Megapixel photo

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 18 15:22:55 CDT 2006

Rats, I keep missing posts to this list for some reason.

Tue, 18 Jul 2006 @ 00:33 -0400, Nadine said:

> On 7/17/06, wa2egp at att.net <wa2egp at att.net> wrote:
> > > Well, actually that's not true.
> > >
> > > Even if your eye cannot detect an individual pixel or color change, it
> > > will still have an effect on what you perceive, most often for the
> > > better.
> >
> > If you can't detect it, how can you perceive it?  I'm puzzled.

I don't see why you are puzzled.

If a frequency above 20KHz resonates with one below, we can and will
notice that.

We do not have to be able to detect something directly to notice its
affects.

Likewise a resolution far higher than what the human eye might be able
to specifically detect can still affect the bits we *can* detect.

Again, I don't see what is puzzling about that at all.

In any case, I can refuse the idea that extra pixels don't matter very
easily:

Print technology far exceeds display capabilities, yet we certainly can
see the benefit.  We long ago passed the point where the human eye could
detect the extra pixels, but nevertheless the printouts keep getting
better.

The same will happen for display technology.

> The brain is a funny thing--you may unconsciously notice things that
> you can't detect directly by viewing/listening.

True, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

Consider a display with 10K pixels across in a 17 inch screen.  Sure, we
cannot see those pixels, but we might very well notice the color
differences made possible by the extra information.

> > I could understand beat notes between those frequencies since there is
> > some non-linearity in the human system.
>
> For instance, inaudible frequencies can increase/decrease certain
> types of brainwaves in humans.  This is how "sleep" audio or
> "meditation" audio tracks assist you in getting different brainwave
> patterns going.

OK, but again not what I meant.

Think about how high requencies can reinforce lower ones, or otherwise
affect the sound.

Also think about how frequencies outside our range can affect materials
nearby, inducing in them affects which we can pick up, or even feel
physically if we are present at a live show.

> Well...not to be pedantic (ok, a little ;-), but "yellow" pigment is
> not "yellow" either.  It simply reflects the yellow area of the
> spectrum so that's what we perceive.

Just to clarify: reflective technology is quite different from generated
light technology.

Reflective "colors" in a way are everything *except* the color we see,
while with something like a display, the color we see really is what is
being generated (or generated by combinations).

> If you have seen the "spectrum"
> shift photos/video that show how bees and other insects see, you'll
> get where I'm going here.  There's a lot of light flying around out
> there.  Our brains are quite good at sorting things out without
> conscious interference from us...and a good thing too or we'd spend
> all our time thinking about breathing.

Theory:

Upper management has some defect in their brains which suppresses the
autonomic system that keeps humans breathing, and they are really
suffereing from oxygen depravation rather than simple stupidity.

That would help explain how their behavior differs in being bizarre in
addition to vanilla stupidity.

Now combine low oxygen with excessive amounts of whiteboard marker
fumes...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty