[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 18 15:04:48 CDT 2006

Mon, 17 Jul 2006 @ 21:49 +0200, Michael-John Turner said:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:27:14AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Meanwhile, it is pretty easy to maintain packages on most any BSD or
> > Linux distribution.

Just clarification: I don't just mean the package manager, but even the
process of building them.

Linux and FreeBSD systems seem more compatible with UNIX and UNIX(TM)
than most UNIX(TM) are.

> I've had good luck with pkgsrc on Solaris systems. It doesn't solve all
> the problems (particularly the nightmare of having multiple versions of the
> same software installed from the base system, sunfreeware, etc), but I like
> it. It also helps that with pkgsrc one can use the same package system
> across most platforms.

Has pkgsrc made support for Solaris 10 official yet?

The website still says it only supports up to version 9.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty