[geeks] X11 forwarding over ssh: hostname resolution

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Jul 17 22:32:49 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:14:10PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>>
>>> Like I said, I use:
>>>
>>> ssh -c blowfish -C -X powerhouse.ikickass.org
>>>
>>> which doesn't work.
>>
>> Make sure that xauth is in your path at the remote end prior to
>> execution of your .profile/.login.  Also, make sure DISPLAY is set
>> properly locally.
>
> xauth wasn't in my path before .profile, but now it is (I created a
> symlink /usr/local/bin/xauth ->/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth), and it still
> doesn't work.  My $DISPLAY on the local machine is set to 127.0.0.1:0.0.

Path to xauth shouldn't matter, its path properly should be compiled into
the sshd binary:

$ strings `which sshd` | grep xauth
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth
xauthlocation
maxauthtries
No xauth program; cannot forward with spoofing.

When I'm back at work and on my Windows/cygwin setup, I'll see if I can
dig up any additional environment info to see what might be causing
this.

But a few questions:

Does your local ssh config file disable X11 forwarding?  Does the remote
sshd disable it?  Do you have it explicitly allowed on both ends?  You
can override local configs on the command line, but if the server is set
to disallow X11 or other port forwarding, there is nothing you can do
about it from the client end, it would have to be reconfigured on the
server.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org