[geeks] X11 forwarding over ssh: hostname resolution

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 17 18:27:18 CDT 2006

Mon, 17 Jul 2006 @ 10:37 -0500, Michael Parson said:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:34:59AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> > I have never been able to get X11 forwarding working on Cygwin, myself.
> >
> > The display variable never gets set on the remote side.
>
> Odd.
>
> Never had a problem with it myself, use it on occasion myself, but
> usually I do the ssh sessions from an xterm rather than from the cmd
> window running bash.  Putty does the right thing with cygwin's X11 too.

One thing you try when this happens on a UNIX X11 server is this:

% ssh -X <hostname>

...because -X forces X11 forwarding.

If that works, then the problem is your ssh client is not seeing the
ForwardX11 option, or a rule which turns it off matches instead.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins]