[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 17 10:11:13 CDT 2006

Fri, 14 Jul 2006 @ 11:08 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 10:58:39AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > For the time being, I have installed FreeBSD on my Sun.  I just needed
> > to get up and running quickly.  It runs great, has most of Solaris'
> > features and some it doesn't, and even has its own form of zones.
> >
> > FreeBSD 6.1 seems to be past a lot of the 5.x pain that scared me away
> > in recent years.
>
> Plus, FreeBSD is getting ZFS and DTrace.  ZFS is already mountable ro.

Interesting.

> I'm really looking forward to NetBSD fixing their SMP on SPARC64
> issues.  I wish I had the time or understanding to help.

Me too.  I have used NetBSD for years with fewer troubles than from any
of the others, and would really like to have it on sparc64.

NetBSD just plain works, 24/7, without major issues.

Well, at least after they fixed the kernel memory starvation problem.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.