[geeks] Shell quoting question...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Jul 14 12:08:32 CDT 2006

" From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
"
" []
"
" In my crontab entry:
"
" 00 05 * * * /export/home/nmiller/script "profile%20name" > /dev/null 2>&1
"
" If I issue the above in an interactive shell, it works fine.
"
" But in the cron log I see this:
"
" sh /export/home/nmiller/script "profile
"
" I tried escaping the %, e.g. "profile\%20name", but that just resulted
" in a line in my cron log with my script's exit code for "bad
" argument".

what happens with "profile name" or "profile\ name"?  or
profile\%20name without quotes?

a quick test:
$ print "profile\%20name" profile\%20name
profile\%20name profile%20name