[geeks] Solaris 10 install size

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:02:12 CDT 2006

On 7/13/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> >Some things Solaris/Sun needs:
> >
> >       - something like the FreeBSD Handbook, or the Slackware Linux book
> >       - something for people who know UNIX and/or know Solaris already
> >       - good books that don't start out with newbie tutorial crap
> >       - a "UNIX Power Tools" type book, except for Solaris
>
> <snip>
>
> I'd love to see a "Solaris Hacks" book from O'Reilly...
>
> How to build a firewall
> How to serve up SAMBA files
> How to set up a SAMP server (Solaris, Apache, MySQL, and [perl|PHP|python])
> How to watch a DVD under Solaris
> How to install Solaris on an unsupported laptop
> Etc...

Myself and another list member were conversing in email about writing
a hardening guide for Sol 10 for DMZ use, with perhaps some high-level
break-down of "what else" would be needed for at least 1 and 3 on that
list, and probably DNS servers and perhaps "app" servers (Tomcat) as
well.
Last I checked, you could find guides for hardening Sol <=9, but not 10.

Life's been intruding, so it hasn't taken off past discussions.  We
figured we could probably get it pub'd in SysAdmin Mag.

=Nadine=