[geeks] Wireless Routers

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 10 10:46:36 CDT 2006

Sun, 09 Jul 2006 @ 16:13 -0400, Nadine said:

> Definitely.  The A/C charging adaptor that came with my Fujifilm
> camera is quite small and came with wraps for the removable cord that
> goes from it to the plug as well as one for the cable from it to the
> camera.  And look at the small size of most cell phone chargers, too.
> It's definitely doable.

I always find the bigger power bricks are more reliable myself.

Another issue I'm surprised no one has mentioned is how easy it is to
damage DC power supplies and equipment by mismatching voltage and power.

We really need for both parts to be a little smarter about that.

It's not uncommon for me to look at a set of my equipment and find
several physically identical warts with no specs and the same plug, but
delivering different power and polarity.  Mismatch them and the result
is often a flash, a puff of smoke, and a dead piece of equipment.

Yes, you can check with a voltmeter to get the right wart, but you can
still make mistakes, and a lot of "documentation" leave out little
details like power requirements.

> Agreed.  The biggest need for AC is to start the compressor motor in
> your refridgerator and/or freezer, the same in your air conditioner.
> Having a big DC converter would also allow you to step down/up based
> on demand.  Build in a little more smarts and you could have outlets
> kill the "standby loss" problem.

I think we'll be needing AC for a long time myself, and I think in the
short term we won't have augmented DC power either because the various
industries simply will not agree on standards.

If they don't agree on standards, then any DC distribution will be a
cluttered mess.

Then again, maybe there will be enough pressure to make it happen. I
just don't see it myself.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.