[geeks] Wireless Routers

Sat Jul 8 22:04:36 CDT 2006

> Meanwhile, nobody in the western world has yet designed and marketed
> what we really should have - centralized AC->DC converters in our
> basements and DC outlets in houses/workplaces, so that we can gain
> the efficiency of one large converter rather than many smaller, and
> less efficient bricks (or built-in converters) in appliances.

I'm not so sure.  There are at least half a dozen different voltages in
common use, and probably a bunch more in less common use.

There are also assorted technical challenges, like distributing
low-voltage DC at reasonable aggregate current without too much drop
due to wire losses.

Mains voltage has the advantage of being standardized.  There are a few
different standards, but they are pretty much completely separated
geographically.

> There was a time when most of the appliances in a house were AC -
> that time has passed.

Depends on the house.  I know some people who have little other use for
electricity.  At the extreme end, my mother probably has nothing that
uses a power supply in the sense of having most of its circuitry
running off non-mains voltage: stove, 'fridge, electric lights, and I
think that's it.  Last I knew she didn't even have a radio.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca