[geeks] Wireless Routers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 6 23:22:05 CDT 2006

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: Thu Jul 06 20:09:59 CDT 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Wireless Routers

>On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 05:03:30PM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
>> But why should my switch, VCR, alarm clock, other switch, wireless
>> router (whether actually routing or not), usb hub, external drive
>> enclosures, etc etc, all need external power packs?
>
>Makes the product itself smaller, and cuts down on need for heat
>dissipation inside a case.

I think there might be another (contributing) reason - to ease the certification process...

By using off-the-shelf, pre-approved power bricks, that part of the device would not need to be tested for UL/CSA whatever... It also allows the basic unit to be location-independent, just like Sun machines which had Country Kits :^)

Lionel