[geeks] Wireless Routers

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 6 22:33:42 CDT 2006

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>I could do the same thing with access points, but the cheap ones here go
>>for almost $300, while "routers" go for $75.
>
> That's completely ridiculous.  If you look at the hardware of a Linksys
> WAP54G, it's just a thoroughly stripped-down WRT54G.  Like half the RAM,
> half (or maybe quarter) the flash, and only one port.

Indeed.  And if Linksys sold the WAP54G for even the same price as the
WRT54G, let alone appropriately less, I'd have bought a WAP54G instead
of a WRT54G.

But basically only businesses buy them.  So the PHB factor of "If it
costs three times as much, it must be three times as good" applies.  And
so they're priced accordingly.

I sometimes wonder what kind of twisted headspace upper-level managers
live in.  But then I start to ponder the necessary contradictions and
inconsistencies that must be accepted without question, and I decide
it's not worth my remaining sanity to delve too deeply into it.