[geeks] USB serial port solutions for UNIX servers (from PC clients)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 6 13:13:07 CDT 2006

Awhile back someone mentioned a USB serial port setup they liked, or at
least made use of.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  I am down to room for a single
terminal on my server table, and have decided to remove the Portmaster
because it is too bulky (for now).

One thing I don't remember anyone mentioning was how the USB serial port
solutions handled things when the host was powered off.

In other words, do the serial ports still appear "alive" to the UNIX
hosts so they won't jump to PROM, etc?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]