[geeks] Wireless Routers

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 12:37:16 CDT 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>> Date: Thu Jul 06 12:01:15 CDT 2006
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Wireless Routers
>
>> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Steve Haavik wrote:
>>
>>> Well, then what about Monowall (http://m0n0.ch/wall/)?
>> I guess my initial question was unclear.
>
> <elegant "dump in a box" comments snipped>
>
> Let's try this another way - you want a "box" that is designed for purpose, not "whipped into submission" to do your bidding, correct?
>
> Now, as I recall, you have to distinct network "clouds", one in building A (say, 10.0.0.0) and one in building B (say, 192.168.0.0), and you want to deploy a box in each building, and have them route activity for the other "cloud" over the wireless network, right?
>
> If that is what you want, then these little boxes won't help you as supplied by the MFG. They don't have the abilty to direct traffic to certain ports, either wired or via wireless. They simply have no provision for that.

I have used a Linksys WRT54GS to do exactly this.  You have to manually
configure everything through the web interface, but I have indeed gotten
it to work.

It's even easier with hacked firmware (by telnetting in and setting up
the routing in the usual Linux way), but that's outside of the scope of
your statement.

Peace...  Sridhar