[geeks] Wireless Routers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jul 5 16:34:11 CDT 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, velociraptor wrote:

> There are plenty of autocratic zealots in the various OSS camps.  The
> fact that it's taken Linux this long to be flushed out of the woods is
> the only surprising part.

It really hasn't taken so long, those are just two of the more recent
head-explody moments I can easily recall.

> You can always take away the hardware suggestions and purchase them
> elsewhere.

True.  I think what I'll probably end up doing is putting a what-the-
heck-ever wireless bridge at the building that isn't mine, and
a box running BSD or Solaris box in my building that knows how to route.
I'd just hoped that the wireless world had grown up to the point that
one could cheaply wave hands and have the equivalent of a long piece of
buried cable, but without all the burying and the cable.

>> [1] If only AIX 5.3 had support for SATA devices....
>
> I'm surprised that you can't see the irony and incongruity of holding
> [0] and [1] in the same brainspace.

Oh believe me, I can.  I'm "upgrading" from Solaris to Linux for the
sake of reliability, but the reliability isn't coming from the Linux
part of the equation:  I'm trading power around.  I don't think I can
run the new library and the old disk array on the same circuit[2], so I
need to replace my TSM diskpool with something cheaper power-wise.
That's going to mean SATA or IDE.  SATA seems to be the smarter
investment, so that means hopping from a Sun to a PC for my TSM needs.
I'd much -rather- pour the money into a 43P-260 or a 44P-170 and run
AIX, but, alas, no SATA adapter support (to my knowledge).

[2] In fact, if everything were 100% busy, I'm pretty sure I couldn't,
     and Murphy loves an overloaded circuit.
--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"