[geeks] OS for an Ultra 2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 3 10:32:21 CDT 2006

Sun, 02 Jul 2006 @ 15:10 -0700, Mike Murphy said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>

> >That leaves Solaris and Linux.  Linux SMP on x86 is excellent, not sure
> >about SPARC.  I hated Linux on SPARC years ago, but I've been told it is
> >OK now.
>
> I'm happily running FreeBSD 6.1 SMP on a 4 CPU Netra 1405. It was 2
> CPU, but the extra 2 CPU's were really cheap on eBay and the plugged
> right in both hardware and software.

I downloaded FreeBSD 6.1 and will try it out.

I ordered a new Fujitsu 36GB drive for the U2.  Hated to spend that
much, but then... these are really nice drives.

I wish I had the hardware to give Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD a real
solid comparison.  It would be useful to have something like that for a
pragmatic everyday workload, rather than the fluff pieces you get in
most trade rags.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The grieving lords take ship.  With these
our very souls pass overseas." -- Exile]