[geeks] Garage band??

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 18 12:25:17 CST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "velociraptor" <velociraptor at gmail.com>
To: "The Geeks List" <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [geeks] Garage band??

<snip>

> M-Audio also has some fairly cheap USB->Midi devices, as do some
> other manufacturers.  There was a panel @ MacWorld about 3 years
> ago that dealt with entry level music making--at that time you could
> get a decent start with new gear for about $500 USD if you already
> had the Mac.  So, used, I'd guess a basic setup would run $250 or
> so?  If you still have that Midi keyboard, you just need one of those
> USB-Midi devices.
>
> The M-Audio "Uno" lists for $50.  A entry level M-Audio Midi keyboard
> starts at $60.

The Emu X Board 49 is very nice, is about $170 at SamAsh.com (velocity
sensetive w/aftertouch) and has USB interface, so mo MIDI needed for simple,
Garage Band "tinkering". Velocity Senetivity and aftertouch are the kinds of
things you don' tthink you want, until you've played for a while. Cheap
keyboards are usually "organ style" where the sound is either on or off, but
with aftertouch and velocity sensitivity, how hard you strike the key, and
how you press on the key after striking it can control the sound...

See:
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=532&subcategory=533&product=13558

MS Win software included, but on the Mac, Garage Band is easily comprable to
the bundled software.

HTH,

Lionel