[geeks] Blue and White G3's, was iPod broke my computer

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 17 15:09:12 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:38:51PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> My memory, and LEM, say that B&W G3s dropped the SCSI that the Beige
> machines had.

Mine has firewire and USB 1, both of which are NOT bootable and an add
on adaptec narrow scsi controler which is also not bootable.

Apple had offered a bootable wide scsi controller as an option, but
mine does not have it.

Without an additional controler the only option was a single IDE drive.

It also has a zip disk (not bootable) and at one time had a bootable
IDE CD-ROM drive. It now has a Toshiba 4x DVD-R burner and won't
boot from it.

In order to boot it, I had to disconnect the CD-ROM drive and fish through
several CD-ROM drives until I found one that was slow enough to boot it.

The second version had a better IDE controler chip on it's motherboard
and would support 2 IDE drives up to 120gig (or so).

When I found out that the machine was not going to boot anything over
20gig (April of last year) , a friend in the U.S. offered to send me
a bootable IDE controler that did not have the problem.

It's now January, and he's moved here, but he never seems to remember to
bring the controler card when he visits.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.