[geeks] [JuliaSacks930 at hotmail.com: [janglo] INFO4U: My Ipod Broke My Computer]

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 17 11:14:57 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:34:56AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

> MTBF doesn't tell the whole story.  You're assuming that failures are
> uniformly distributed, in a sense rather like radioactive decay: that
> the chance of a drive dying during a particular time interval depends
> on nothing but the size of that interval, whereas in reality it also
> depends on how far into the drive's service life that interval falls.

I have a Blue and White Macintosh G3 (original model) that only works
with older drives. There is a flaw in the IDE controller chip and the
fastest drive made that works with it is 20gig, anything newer is too
fast. :-(

In the year that I've had it, it's been through 4 hard disks. Not because
of anything wrong with the computer itself, but to get a hard disk, I
have to find one that's at least five years old and they all have been
used and then put on a shelf, which decreases the lifetime once they
get used again.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.