[geeks] KVM over IP

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Jan 13 15:28:17 CST 2006

William Enestvedt wrote:

>Nick B. wrote:
>

>>Avocent makes a "cheap" ~800$ kvm-over-ip box, one
>>DB15/ps2/ps2 in, one out, one ethernet, one serial.
>>

>    ...And I would voice at least one vote of confidence in their non-IP
>KVMs.
>-wde

I'm sitting 10 feet away from three daisy-chained avocent KVMs
(Switchview OSD) connected to one of those.  The mouse movement is funky
(which could easily be that i have something misconfigured, i haven't
dug into it), but other than that it works well.  I'm considering
replacing the switchviews soon, not because of any problems with them,
but just to go to something that does the KVM cabling over CAT5.  All of
those fat KVM cables make a mess out of wiring in the racks.

    -Dan Sikorski