[geeks] KVM over IP

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Jan 12 18:35:08 CST 2006

Does anyone know of an inexpensive KVM over IP solution?
(Besides using real hardware that does console over serial)
I need something that will allow BIOS-level access[1] of multiple
servers either by having multiple inputs or the ability to control
an external KVM.  I'd also like the ability to connect from multiple
locations (not necessarily at once) without needing special hardware
or software to do so.

Some examples so far:

Bill, you had previously mentioned the Simple Link device which
is interesting but a bit pricy for what I want.
http://www.thinklogical.com/products/simpleLink.php

Adder makes one that uses VNC instead of the browser interface (which
I think I prefer) but it's also expensive:
http://www.realvnc.com/products/KVM-over-IP/

These seem to be expanding fairly rapidly with the number of crappy
Wintel boxes being tasked as servers[2] so I'm hoping I can find something
inexpensive.

Thanks for any input.

=-DanD

[1] Please, shoot me now.