[geeks] The rush to sell those Macs is on...............

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jan 12 14:13:10 CST 2006

Just saw the first "I have to sell this Mac laptop right away...." ads.

The guy was selling a year old g4 laptop for 4700 NIS, the same model new
before "the announcment" was selling as a closeout for 6300 NIS with
the "current" version (faster, more RAM, bigger disk) for 6700.

The new prices include 17% VAT (sales tax), the old one did not.
>From what he was offering, he bought it in the U.S. and brought it
here, so he never paid VAT on it.

Last week it might have been a good deal, this week IMHO it's not.

Time to save up for a fire sale G5..........

On a lighter note I was offered the chance to many used original G4 desktops
(the ones that look like B&W G3's but are grey). I told the person selling
them to me that they were not worth much, to get them "up to speed", I'd
have to spend (Israeli prices) the equivalent of $150 for RAM, $100 for
a hard drive and $150 for a copy of tiger just to equal a Mac Mini that
sells new with them included for $700 (including VAT) and it's 3 times
the speed and includes a warranty.

Actually since he was a friend I offered to take six if he would give them
to me for free. I'd hook them up in a Beowolf cluster and use them to heat my
workshop :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.